Here are some better photos of the finished painting apron. I used really inexpensive fabric because I anticipate getting lots of oil paint on it anyways. I added the decoration to the pocket just because I've always wanted to try it. I did sew a seam down the front so there's a brush pocket but it's hard to see.
You can see how the ties loop to the front and then back again. I think I would have angled the fabric more so that the top wasn't as wide as the bottom. My shoulders aren't that wide so I hope it works. You can see boxes on the floor behind me... all my paints and stuff! Man, is oil painting expensive. Now I know why I haven't done it in so long. Luckily Craig is all for it.